Public Places & Schools
East New Market first served as a center of trade between Native Americans and European settlers.
The town's original trading post was moved to Academy Street and now serves as a public meeting place for the Town Council, Zoning and Historic commissions. A number of now private homes once served as taverns or hotels. These included: the LeCompte Tavern, the Thomas "Red Head" Helsby Tavern, the Daffin-Mitchell House (also known as the East New Market Hotel), and the Bramble House. During the second decade of the 20th century prosperity inspired a number of building projects for use by the public including a new school, Millenson's Store, the Bank and the Masonic hall. A number of schools have operated in the town. Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church once had a school for African American children which was built in 1882 but has been unused since the 1940's. The following are other public historic spaces of note.
East New Market Bank
Located in the center of town this bank was built by the Eastern Shore Trust Company in 1909. The structure was demolished in the late 20th century.
The East New Market Female Academy
The original High School was called New Market Academy and began operation in 1818. In 1912 a larger brick building was built near by. After an addition in the 1930's, the school remained in use until the 1970's. It has been used in part for town offices. Now the building provides residential space.
The Realty Building
This was built in 1915 after a fire destroyed a number of small shops there the year before. At the center of the town's commercial area, this building has been home to real estate offices, a drug store, and a grocery.
Please visit the following links to experience a bit of the heritage that lives on
in some of the historic places in East New Market.
© Copyright 2004 - Town of East New Market - All rights reserved.
This site is funded in part by the
Rural Development Center - University of Maryland Eastern Shore