Buckland Dafflin-Mitchell House Friendship Hall Edmondson House
Home
ABOUT US TOWN HALL HISTORY MEET THE PEOPLE RESOURCES
Friendship Hall
Friendship Hall
Photograph Courtesy Marc Bramble
Friendship Hall

This fine example of American architecture built in the Post Revolutionary period was built by the Sulivane family. Son of an officer of Britain's King James II, who came to America in 1695; Daniel Sulivane served in the Maryland Assembly. His son James helped organize a local regiment of the colonial army called the New Market Blues. After the Treaty of Paris in 1783, he took out a patent for 911 acres of land which he called New Market. There is some evidence that this land had originally been set aside as an Indian Reservation. Sullivane built this brick structure which is well known for its Georgian details. It has benefited from recent restoration and is listed on the National Register.
Friendship Hall Historic Marker
Friendship Hall Historic Marker

Please visit the following links to experience a bit
of the heritage that lives on in some of the
historic places in East New Market.

Historic Homes of East New Market:
  • Buckland
  • Dafflin-Mitchell House
  • Edmondson House
  • Friendship Hall
  • New Market House

    Other Historic Structures:
  • Houses of Worship
  • Public Places & Schools

    More Historical Information On Our Town:
  • East New Market - A Brief History
  • Our Historic District
  • Meet The People


  • Some information on these pages has been provided from the notes of Marc Bramble.

    Some information on these pages was found in:
    "Between The Nanticoke and the Choptank - An Architectural History of Dorchester County, Maryland;" Edited by Christopher Weeks, with contributions by Michael O. Bourne, Geoffrey Henry, Catherine Moore, Calvin Mowbray, M. Fred Tidwell.
    Published in 1984 by The Johns Hopkins University Press and The Maryland Historical Trust


    Home    |    About Us    |    Contact Us    |    Site Directory
    © Copyright 2004 - Town of East New Market - All rights reserved.
    This site was funded in part by the
    Rural Development Center - University of Maryland Eastern Shore
    Questions?Email: enmtownhall@gmail.com